and Forte - Multi-Dimensional
the UK’s leading supplier of employment opportunities for disabled people.
Working closely with Government programmes like Workstep and NDDP, they assist
over 2,000 people with a range of physical and mental disabilities to find
work every year. In addition, they support 4,500 people in the employment
of other organisations and 6,000 people in their own sites. With over 80 sites
across the UK, they supply half of the top British companies with goods and
services. Products include high-tech motor and electronic assemblies, school
and college furniture, printing and packaging as well as protective clothing
for military and civil use.
Remploy’s growing presence in the service sector supports both commercial
and manufacturing operations. Services include recycling of white goods and
computers, office back-up, and CCTV monitoring. The Managed Services division
provides teams supporting the NHS and local councils as well as commercial
companies such as Unilever.
In previous years Budgets have been prepared using excel spreadsheets for
data preparation, business budget build, company consolidation and reporting.
The introduction of "product group" businesses rather than businesses
defined by site ownership created technical problems in creating multi-dimensional
budgets. This created a need to allow preparation by both "Site Owners"
The development of the "product group" Businesses with increasing
multiple accountability, made it virtually impossible to design a suite of
spreadsheets that would allow multiple on-line access and provide for consolidation
at Business level.
• Multi-dimensional budget input and rapid consolidation of Business
and Company views.
• Building budgets at site level which allow multiple access to varying
numbers of business users.
• Automatic phasing across periods based for example on number of employees
and production weeks.
• Dealing with structural changes in a flexible way.
• Enable central input of routine base data - salaries, wages, headcount,
depreciation, central costs.
• Reduce budget preparation and elapsed time.
• Deal effectively with balance sheet budgets.
• Exchange data with BAANTM and operational spreadsheets.
• Transparency to executive, business management and senior departmental
managers by the use of an audit trail of adjustments.
• Provide a basis for future business planning and forecasting.
Forte was chosen as it met all the objectives. In addition Cyberscience had
already established a good working relationship with Remploy and demonstrated
their technical capabilities in meeting Remploy’s management reporting
requirements with Enterprise Cyberquery (eCQ).
Savings and Benefits
“One of the main benefits has been greater transparency
of budget detail. Management is able to see exactly how any budget has been
established. We have reduced reliance on spreadsheets and improved data accuracy,”
Alan Joynes – financial controller.
Implementing Forte will contribute to ultimate cost reduction and increased
value added contribution from the Finance function. It has enabled the Business
Accountants to focus on commercial issues.
As each transaction is input the result is immediately reflected across all
the different views required by management. In this way Forte has enabled
Remploy management to monitor and control the build up of the budget.
Complex interdepartmental recharging and contra balancing have been created
to meet the specific needs of Remploy. This has provided not only a Profit
and Loss based budget but in addition has provided a budget of Balance Sheet
and non-financial items such as head count.
As with any large and complex organisation Remploy found during implementation
that there were areas of the Budget Build system that required enhancement.
Alan Joynes - “We have been impressed by the speed with which Cyberscience
have delivered the changes we required at a critical time of the year. This
has been a real working partnership.”
“We have been impressed by the speed with which
Cyberscience have delivered the changes we required at a critical time of
the year. This has been a real working partnership.” Alan
Joynes – Financial Controller
Forte Budget Preparation
Building the Base
Whether you choose to use historic or zero base, on a fixed or variable basis,
Forte provides interactive facilities for building budgets and forecasts with
all the entry tools, links to indexes, profiling rules and reallocations available
You can also choose to input data interactively or import from spreadsheets
and other budget preparation modules.
Features and Benefits
• Multi-dimensional budget views provide each manager with their view
of the budget even where this conflicts with operational structure.
• Comprehensive security restricts what data a user may see.
• Intranet deployment reduces the cost of software installation to near
• Build from any base and generate inflation according to the type of
expense. This reduces the time to build the base and allows changes to inflation
predictions at any time.
• Flexible profiling rules phase the budget across accounting periods
providing an accurate reflection of annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly
costs based on number of employees, production weeks or any other criteria.
• Restructuring without coding change allows rapid response to changes
in how the company operates. Management may create new views that reflect
this in both current and historic data so as to maintain valid comparisons.
• Distributed input of data eliminates the need for information to be
passed to those building the budget at the operational level.
• Central input of routine base data - salaries, wages, headcount, depreciation,
central costs – is immediately reflected in the budget being built by
user departments. This eliminates duplication of data input and reduces budget
• Spreadsheet and third party import and export eliminate re-keying
of data from users who do not have access to Forte and for import of data
from complex modeling.
• Balance sheet budgets allow the production of full management packs
just as they will be produced for the coming financial year.
• Forecasts provide the ability to predict the final outturn as the
• Full audit trails and drill down capability provide transparency to
executive, business management and senior departmental managers. Drill down
shows who has made the changes and an explanation of why.
• Reallocations allow complex redistribution of costs from supplier
departments to user departments.
• Ten user defined budget categories such as base, inflation, growth,
recharges provide management immediately with an answer to “why has
the budget changed”.
• Contra Balancing allows the balance sheet to be balanced at a stroke
reflecting the budget changes in the Profit and Loss.